Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Adverbial Clauses and Phrases

Adverbial Clauses and Phrases
Quite often, an adverb in a sentence comprises several words. These types of adverbs are called adverbial phrases or adverbial clauses. Adverbial phrases and clauses (shown in italics below) can usually be categorised as one of the following: 
Adverbs of Time
 A crow attacked your cat while I was waiting for the bus.

 Every time he cracked a joke, the punters roared with laughter.
(Note the comma. This is explained in the hot tip to the right.) 
Adverbs of Place
 It is colder and wetter in the north of Germany. 

 Put the sign where the students can read it. 
Adverbs of Manner
 That dog is walking around like he owns the place.

 She is acting as if she has stolen something. 
Adverbs of Degree
 You are not as clever as you think you are.

 He is as modest as is he is brilliant. 
Adverbs of Condition
 If I have the time, I will show you the cellar after the shift.

 I will come with you provided my suit is back from the dry cleaners. 
Adverbs of Concession 
 Although only four years old, Oliver can do long multiplication.

 I will cover for you although I may lose my job. 
Adverbs of Reason 
 We were forced to abandon the match because the skies opened up.

 Since it is your birthday, you can sit in the front.

No comments:

Post a Comment