Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Tom Swifties

Tom Swifties are a special kind of pun, e.g.:

"I need a pencil sharpener," said Tom bluntly. 
"Oops! There goes my hat!" said Tom off the top of his head. 
"I can no longer hear anything," said Tom deftly. 
"I have a split personality," said Tom, being frank. 
"This must be an aerobics class," Tom worked out.

Other examples:

- A -

"I'm wearing a ribbon round my arm," said Tom with abandon.  
  "I'm concerned about the number of people not attending," said Tom absentmindedly.  
  "I like modern painting," said Tom abstractly.  
  "Now I have the tools to chop down that tree," said Tom with a heavy accent.  
  "This salad dressing has too much vinegar," said Tom acidly.  
  "There's room for one more," Tom admitted.  
  "Here's your allowance for the next two weeks," Tom advanced.  
  "I'd like to eat seventeen cakes," Tom agreed.  
  "I'm halfway up a mountain," Tom alleged.  
  "There's no need for silence," Tom allowed.  
  "There seems to be at least one blood-sucking insect in every outhouse," said Tom aloofly.  
  "It's a unit of electric current," said Tom amply.  
  "These propulsion systems were used by NASA on moon rockets," said Tom apologetically.  
  "I compliment the company that makes the Macintosh computer," said Tom applauding.  
  "We can't have this and eat it too," said Tom archaically.  
  "It's an actual parameter, not a formal parameter," was Tom's argument.  
  "You have the right to remain silent," said Tom arrestingly.  
  "Someday I'll run the CIA," said Tom aspiringly.  
  "I've mailed the letter," Tom assented.  
  "I decided which car to purchase after looking at the pictures," said Tom autobiographically.

No comments:

Post a Comment